Friday, June 05, 2009

Some Thoughts on Murakami's Book

I read Murakami's book, 'What I Talk About When I Talk About Running' a few weeks back. For somebody who is not into running, the book could infact be banal. I know a couple of folks who just could not empathize with what Murakami was trying to convey.

I found the book a fantastic read, and in many cases I could really connect with Murakami's thought. I think that the main theme of the book is on the therapeutic power of running. It can change one's life so much for the better. Running clarifies the mind like no other activity.  The entry barriers to running are also minimal - all one needs is a good pair of running shoes.

Murakami's maxim in the first chapter - 'Pain is inevitable; Suffering is optional' is something that every runner can connect with. The book has a zen like quality about it and I enjoyed reading it very much

No comments:

Post a Comment