Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Slow it down

I had remarked earlier about improving my 5 Km PR from 33 minutes to 30 minutes in 2 weeks. Well - I just got slightly more literate, and scientific, and the fallacious, and dangerous nature of this objective is apparent to me. Some principles I have set down-

1. Am not going to focus on my speed for this year. The emphasis will be on finishing my goals.

2. This is the way I am going to keep it till I complete my first half marathon

Today's run made me come to this realization. I ran 5 km in 32 minutes - and improving this by 2 minutes is still a long way from here ---am not even going to think about it.

The second aspect is that somewhere my weekly mileage in the last 2 weeks has ramped up faster than what I initially planned ....and its also faster than what I have read in many running blogs (the 10% ramp up per week rule). I have moved from a weekly tally of 30 to 43 Km in 3 weeks. But I am listening to my body ---and am not feeling any repercussions, or warning signs. I am allowing myself 1 day for rest in the week .. and things seem ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment