Sunday, May 17, 2009

Why is this blog titled 'The Tao of the Oat'?

Like a true south Indian ( I am Telugu, and grew up in Tamil Nadu), I enjoyed my Vada Sambar, Venn Pongal, and Poori Masala for breakfast - and all of this with loads of coconut chutney. Having grown up in Coimbatore, which borders Tamil Nadu and Kerala, coconut was an integral part of every aspect of cooking

One of the first things the nutritionist did was to eliminate these items from my diet - I was allowed to have idli (only with sambar & without chutney, and the sambar was not supposed to have coconut). Rather than have this watered down version of idli, I decided to eliminate it altogether - I mean, either I had the real idli or did not have it at all. 

My breakfast was supposed to be oats and egg whites. And, initially, I absolutely hated oats. It was tasteless, spiceless, took too long to chew - and generally made me feel like a horse. Soon, however, I started recognizing the merits of this meal. I was seeing the Tao, the way, by consuming oat for breakfast. 

Hence, the Tao of  the Oat

No comments:

Post a Comment