Sunday, May 17, 2009

April'09 - A quantum leap in my treadmill running

After the 1 month break, when I started running on the treadmill again, I somehow felt fresher. Maybe, the lull in March had refreshed me. I just felt that I could run longer than 10 Minutes continuous - which was my record in March. Maybe, this was because my quitting smoking had cleaned up something in my cardio system in the last 20 days. 

I think, to someone more fit than me, this might just sound like the heights of being pompous - calling a 10 minute continuous run as a record! However, I have never been a physically active person before in my life. And, I was seriously overweight and trying to accomplish something reltated to my fitness. Hence, to me, moving from a 1 minute run in December to 10 minutes continuous is a big leap.

Coming back, I felt stronger on the treadmill in the first few days of April. On April 4th, I asked myself - "Hey, can I run for atleast 17 minutes continuous?" (after providing for a walk for the first 3 minutes to warm up). I decided to give it a shot. And, completely surprised myself by doing it!

My run was as follows -

3 minute walk at 6.5 Km/Hour
7 minute run at 10.5 Km/hour
4 minute run at 9.5 Km/Hour
6 minute run at 8.5 Km/Hour

..so, I made it. This was the first day in 4 months when I did not feel a sense of hate and revulsion about the treadmill workout. I actually enjoyed it - as I surprised myself with what I achieved that day. 

For a week I stuck with this routine on the treadmill, and continued with the elliptical routine of 25 minutes too. Then, I again asked myself, as to whether, I could run for 30 minutes continuous. This seemed to me to be an important psychological mark - a 30 minute continuous run. 

I decided to attempt this on April 12th 2009. I set some ground rules -

1. The slowest speed I would go down to was 8.5 Km/hour
2. It would be a continuous run; no walking

..and, again I did it. I mean - I ran ugly, and huffed and puffed on treadmill, including some very loud sighs of tiredness. But, I did the job. I ran continuously for 30 minutes - albeit at a slower pace than before. From my runs in the previous week, I realized that going at 10.5 Km/Hour early on was not going to help me last through 30 minutes. So, I decided to cut down my peak running speed to 9.5 Km/Hour. The 30 minute run schedule was as follows-

 3 minute warm up walk at 6.5 Km/Hour
15 minute run at 9.5 Km/Hour
15 minute run at 8.5 Km/ hour

I had approximately run 4 Kms on the treadmill that day. I was totally drained - and my knees hurt a bit. But it was enoromously satisfying.  I was beginning to enjoy treadmill running.

I persisted with a week of this routine. That is, 30 minutes on the treadmill, running. And, 20 minutes on the elliptical. This was till April 18th. 

Then, again, on April 19th, I asked myself as to whether I could do the whole 50 minute cardio session on the treadmill itself, and eliminate the elliptical from my cardio routine. I decided that I would try two 25 minute sessions on the treadmill- with a resting break of 3 minutes between sessions. And I did it.

The first 25 minutes, I repeated what I did earlier the previous week. I ran at an average of 9.0 Km / Hour with a peak of 9.5 km/h and a min of 8.5 km/h. The second set was difficult. When I started out, I could feel the strain. I decided to limit my run speed to 8.5 Km/h. The whole run was accomplished at this stready pace. I ran for a total of 50 minutes, and had run around 8 kms on the treadmill - with a three minute break. In a couple of days, I was able to eliminate the 3 minute break - and run continuously for 50 minutes on the treadmill. My typical run used to be -

3 minute warm up by walking at 6.5 km/h
5 minute run at 8.5 km/h
20 minute run at 9.5 km/h
25 minute run at 8.5 km/h

So, I had actually started running - and enjoying the treadmill. I spent the rest of April doing this.  I did slack off a bit on my weight training. But, I did not mind it, as I was beginning to really enjoy running on the treadmill

End of April09 - I was at 90 Kgs. I had lost 10 Kgs in 5 months since December

No comments:

Post a Comment