Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Fitness Trip Starts - After Many Fits and Starts



That's me in November 2008.  I was  35 years old, weighed 100kgs, and smoked 12- 15 cigarettes a day. One could say I was a regular corporate guy - someone who had in a sense allowed the mechanical pounding of the corporate world to tell on his corporeal self. This was till 26/11 happened in Mumbai. There was a mail being circulated in my office from one of the survivors. The writer of this mail, amongst other things, stressed the importance of being fit. And that was when, for possibly the first time in my life, I thought of getting fit

So, that's how it started. On the sixth of December 2008, I told Teju, my wife, that I wanted to do something about my weight. Teju was kind of shocked - she had been telling me to do this for 6 years, and never imagined that such a day would dawn!

I went to a nutritionist that very day. She essentially told me that I was atleast 14 kgs overweight. And the first priority would be to lose 10 kgs.  She gave me a diet plan - the gist of which was about avoiding rice and snacks, and eating right with a diet high on fibre, vegatables, and an optimal intake of proteins. 

I left the nutritionist's office and went over to the neighbourhood gym and enrolled for three months . I wanted to first see if I was disciplined enough before committing financial resources for a year's membership. 

That's how my attempt to get fit started. 


...and this is me in May 2009..6 months after the fitness journey started


No comments:

Post a Comment