Sunday, May 17, 2009

March'09 - a lull in my activity and quitting smoking

My quarterly gym membership expired on March 4th 2009. I had to spend 2 weeks in Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu as my brother was getting married. In those 2 weeks, I did have some transgressions from my diet - in fact almost completely. The only saving grace was that I limited the quantities I was consuming. I did manage to do some crunches, leg raised and squats on alternate days. 

The most important date in this month however was March 6th. For old time's sake, I decided to travel to Coimbatore by train. I have always found trains an excellent medium to clarify my thoughts to myself - maybe its the rhythmic movement that calms my mind. Whatever it was, but on this day, I just felt that I was through with smoking. I mean - I just felt disgusted and decided that it was over. I was carrying a pack to smoke surreptitiously, when Teju was not looking around.  I threw that in the trash can and told myself that this was the end of it. I could just feel strongly inside me that this time it was for real. Smoking was out of my life.

I really did not have any withdrawal symptoms. Maybe being amongst my family, and the festivities associated with marriage helped. 

On 23rd I came back to Mumbai, and measured my weight for the first time in 17 days. Happily, there was no gain (I know that weight is not the only barometer of fat ..etc..but I was happy). 

I slacked around for another week. This was now getting dangerous. It was almost a month since I had done any serious exercise. I certainly did not want the good work of the last 3 months to be undone. On April 1st, I dragged myself back to the gym and paid up for a year's membership.

No comments:

Post a Comment