Sunday, August 30, 2009

Finished my first HM @ Hyderabad

I had, in my books, a fantastic run in the Hyderabad Half Marathon. I finished 21.1 Kms in 2.40 minutes 27 seconds. Strictly, by the timings, and my earlier training sessions, I could have been disappointed - but am not. In fact, am on top of the world!

The run started on time at 5.45 AM. There were around 700 runners doing both the half as well as the full marathon. The warm up was interesting - we danced! Well, I just shuffled my feet around! but the energy juices and the endorphins started flowing quite early.

The route was a hilly one - there were several ups and downs. From KBR park in Jubilee Hills, we passed cyber towers, went into Hitex, then into Hitech city, and ended the race inside Gachibowli stadium.

I ran strongly in my books. In fact, in my Suunto Footpod, I finished 21.1 Km in 2hours and 21 minutes. But obviously, it was wrongly calibrated. I started flagging off and losing speed in the last 30 minutes. Even by the markers, I had finished 17 Kms in 2 hours. The last 4 kms - I slowed down. And, since I belong to the school of runners who do not walk, I did not walk for even a second.

Collected my certificate, and finishers medal. This is one of the best days in my life!

Teju and my father-in-law were there in the stadium to receive me while finishing. Took some snaps - will post them later.

Full kudos to the Hyderabad 10k Foundation for organizing the race very well. Water was available in plenty and routes were marked clearly. Dispersion of medals and certificates was also quite efficient. One area for improvement would be that in a couple of roads, the cops did not do their job in blocking traffic - it was a bit unnerving running on those. Nevertheless - great race

No comments:

Post a Comment