Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Significant Week

This week is an important milestone in this journey so far.

On Monday, I was in Delhi for a client meeting. In the evening, after checking into the hotel, I put on my running shoes and went to the gym. I had missed my long run the previous day, and intended to compensate for that. Till date, my longest run was 15 Km on a flat track.

I ran on the treadmill for 2 hours non-stop and covered 18 kilometers. This was an incredibly important event for me - as I felt confident that I would now be able to definitely complete the Hyderabad half-marathon

..and yesterday, was again my long run day. I decided that I needed to do the 21 kms to feel fully prepared (most beginner programs do not recommend this though). I looped Raheja Vihar - which is a tough course in my opinion. The loop has a circumference of 1.7 Kms out of which 230 Metres is a fairly steep uphill. This implies that in a 21 km run, I would end up doing close to 3 Km of uphills.

I did it - I ran the entire half -marathon distance in 2 hours 34 minutes. While I was a bit dissapointed in not finishing within 2.30, I did not let that linger. I actually feel quite decently prepared now. And, I shall start the taper for the 30th August race sometime next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment